Need a custom made product?
SMARTCOTE® is a water based acrylic coating that is applied to Orrcon Steel’s manufactured range of tubular steel products.
Developed in the late 90’s to replace oil based coatings, SMARTCOTE® has stood the test of time as an effective steel coating.
It offers a number of advantages over oil based steel coatings and is used in a broad range of applications including welding, galvanising, painting and powder coating.
The benefits of using SMARTCOTE® over traditional mill oils include:
- SMARTCOTE® exhibits good anti-spatter properties and does not interfere with weld bead formation during welding.
- It is easy to strike a weld arc.
- It emits minimal fuming while welding.
- SMARTCOTE® is easily marked with chalk.
- It improves the shelf life of steel products.
- It withstands handling damage during packing, transport and subsequent processing.
- SMARTCOTE® is non-toxic, non-flammable and heavy-metal free.
- SMARTCOTE® is compatible with most top-coating systems including acrylics, polyurethanes, PVA emulsions, enamels and powder coatings.*
- It is removable in hot caustic pre-treatment processes prior to galvanising and powder coating.
- It is more aesthetically pleasing as opposed to a mill oil finish.
- SMARTCOTE® does not attract dust.
- SMARTCOTE® is cleaner to handle than oil – it does not leave oil stains or drips.
- It is safer to transport as it reduces the risk of spearing during emergency braking or crane stoppage.
If you’re looking for a steel coating that is cleaner, easier to handle and more resistant to corrosion than oil, ask your local Orrcon Steel branch for SMARTCOTE® steel.
When selecting and specifying a protective coating system it is recommended that you:
- Consult your coating supplier and Review and adhere to guielines contained in AS/NZS 2312